Friday 31 May 2013

Leaving Bogo



I’ve been shut down. This morning I left Bogo with heavy bags and an even heavier heart. I took one last look at my little house, now empty; it looks abandoned like someone left in a hurry...My neighbours came out to see me off, but I could barely look at them without being overcome with emotion. It’s all happening so fast. My return home has come to an abrupt end. And the words I wrote a couple weeks ago in my last blog are now coming back to haunt me.

 Packing...

A goodbye gift- it has my name on it.
 
Je savais que le jour où je devrais partir allait venir, mais jamais je ne l’aurai imaginé ainsi.  VSO quitte l’Extrême Nord.  On se fait évacuer. Pour des raisons de sécurité que je ne comprends toujours pas, on m’a forcé en quelques jours d’abandonner mes projets, mes partenaires, mes amis, ma maison et ma communauté. Je venais tout juste de rentrer « chez moi » avec une énergie et une détermination renouvelée et prête à affronter tous les obstacles- tous sauf une : être évacuée.

 Last meal of mocoroni be biftek at the restaurant.

Moi et Saad 

I use the word evacuated, but it doesn’t accurately describe our situation. Evacuated implies that there is some kind of immediate danger like gunfire in the streets or bombs going off, but I’ve never felt the slightest bit of danger in Bogo. In fact, I probably felt safer than I ever did back home because I know everyone from the local authorities and police, to my neighbours, to the guy selling onions in the market were looking out for me. In a year and a half, I’ve never had a single incident in Bogo where I’ve felt threatened or in danger. In fact, the only problems I’ve had have been with other volunteers and with VSO as an organization. In fact, I wonder if I might not be at greater risk now in a foreign city where I don’t know anybody and I am more likely to get robbed, harassed or aggressed. Not to mention that I am closer to Nigeria now than I was before... 
 Dernière rencontre avec l'APEE de Mororo

 Harira and I

 Je trouve que ça n’a pas beaucoup de sens mais il faut que je fasse confiance au jugement de VSO, de toute façon je n’ai pas le choix. Il y a quelques semaines je disais que je voulais rentrer à la maison, maintenant qu’il y a une vraie possibilité que je rentre plus tôt que prévu je regrette mes paroles. C’est vrai que je voulais bientôt partir mais pas comme ça; pas sans avoir eu la chance de bien mener mes projets à bout; pas sans avoir eu le temps de me préparer et mettre de l’ordre dans mes affaires; pas sans avoir pu avertir et saluer tous mes partenaires, groupes, amis et voisins.  Ça me fait mal, et le fait que je ne comprends pas du tout de quel danger il s’agit rend la décision encore plus difficile à avaler. Et comment est-ce que je peux expliquer ça à mes partenaires, aux gens avec qui j’ai travaillé et qui j’ai abandonné? Comment est-ce que je peux leur expliquer qu’en effet je ne suis pas parti pour rien mais qu’il y avait une raison? Que c’était pour ma protection et mon bien-être. Pour me protéger contre un mal invisible…

Aurevoir aux gars du restaurant

Yesterday, I found Aissa with tears streaming down her face. I cradled her onto my lap and the two of us cried for a good twenty minutes. We didn’t speak. What could I possibly say to this precious child who has been with me since day one of my arrival in Bogo and who has called me yappendo (auntie) for the past year? What could I say to make it all okay, to make my departure seem less harsh? I’m sorry little one, I didn’t mean for it to end this way. I didn’t mean to abandon you. Siu siu kaddi. Ça va aller. Tout va bien aller. Insha’Allah.
With my neighbours - Hadjia, Nafissa, Aissa...
 
Quel est la suite? Je ne sais pas encore. J’attends de savoir ce qu’on va faire de moi maintenant, mais je ne crois pas que je vais rester encore longtemps au Cameroun. Si je ne peux pas être à Bogo, je n’ai pas envie d’être ailleurs. Surtout, je n’ai pas envie de créer d’autres liens d’attachements avec les gens et avec un village seulement pour les couper d’ici six mois quand mon contrat est supposé de finir. Je n’ai pas envie de revivre les dernières journées de larmes et d’aurevoirs avec une autre communauté dans six mois.

 Le jour du départ, on charge les motos.

I’m trying to see things in a positive light; to tell myself that everything has a reason and if I have to leave Bogo it is because I am meant to be somewhere else. I am trying to see it as a new experience, one that will hopefully make me stronger, and as an opportunity to explore new places and try new things. I don’t know where I will be going next or what I will be doing, but I know I will be going with my head held high and eyes fixed on the horizon. The adventure doesn’t end here.

Bouba et Djawe qui m'ont accompagné à Maroua.


1 comment:

  1. Natasha, where are you now?

    I am heading for the CUSO "reintegration" weekend on the 12th of July in Ottawa.

    Might you be there?

    Tony

    ReplyDelete